Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes w/ Vanilla Frosting, Take 1

I have a mouthful of sweat teeth, luckily most of Mother Nature's fruits are super yummy just as is or over some soy ice cream! However there is nothing to be done about my sweat, ooh-eey gooey cravings and I've been searching up a few cupcake recipes.

One website I've always liked is http://www.allrecipies.com/. They have a huge variety including a wide selection of vegetarian and vegan dishes. I also appreciate the nutritional info that comes with each recipe. So here is my very first vegan cupcake experience...

Vanilla Vegan Cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 T Apple cider vinegar
11/2 Cups soy milk
2 Cups All purpose flour
1 Cup white sugar
2 t Baking powder
1/2 t Baking soda
1/2 t Salt
1/2 Cup Coconut oil
11/4 t Vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 and prepare (grease or line with cups) 12 cup muffin pan.
Measure Apple Vinegar into a 2 cup measuring bowl, then fill with "milk" to 11/2 cup line.
Let stand and curdle about 5 minutes.
In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a smaller bowl whisk curdled mixture, oil and vanilla extract together.
Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients while stirring.
Stir until just blended.
Spoon batter into prepared cups till about a 1/2 inch below the top.

Bake 20-25 minutes and let cool before slathering in your desired Vegan Frosting!

yields 12 cupcakes
Calories:152   Total Fat 6.4g



My personal review:
I found them to be very moist, almost to the point where I was kinda worried because noticeable dark wet spots appeared on the top of a few cakes during the cooling process. I did use canola oil instead of coconut oil so maybe that had something to do with it?

Next time I would use a little less canola oil. I also used vanilla flavoured soy milk instead of plain soy milk which added to the overall vanillaness. I attempted at making an icing, without icing sugar which I'm calling a fail. But it did the job of forming a creamy sugary substance that sat atop a cupcake. Due to the moisture I refrigerated them, separate from icing, until they were finished.

Turns out the whole shebang was a huge hit! 
The Family gave the cupcake and icing-that-shall-not-be-named [Bye Harry :( ] a 9/10

I'm starting to think there might be a bias...

I'm giving just the cupcake a 6/10
Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. This book.

    http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Cupcakes-Take-Over-World/dp/1569242739/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_2/104-8110381-2073509?ie=UTF8

    You must buy. Now.

    I am seriously in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drool! I'm loving this :) the food can be so simple but soooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete